What is the difference between Clarify and ScreenSteps?
Both Clarify and ScreenSteps have similar workflows but target different types of use cases. Clarify is for creating quick communications while ScreenSteps is geared towards collaborating on software documentation in the cloud.
Similarities Between Clarify and ScreenSteps
Both ScreenSteps and Clarify allow you to create visual documents centered around screen captures. With both products you can do the following:
- Capture images
- Assemble them into "steps"
- Add image annotations
- Add text instructions
- Copy documents to your clipboard for pasting into email or word processing documents
Differences - ScreenSteps is in the cloud
ScreenSteps focuses on giving teams the tools they need to collaborate on their documentation. All of your ScreenSteps content is hosted on our server so that anyone on your team can access it. ScreenSteps also allows you to organize your articles into manuals and distribute your manuals to your customers.
Differences - Clarify focuses on speed and simplicity
Clarify is focused on creating quick, focused communications. It includes the following features that aren't available in ScreenSteps:
- Single document format (no library for storing articles)
- Simplified, streamlined user interface
Which should I choose?
Both! We use both ScreenSteps and Clarify on a regular basis. We use Clarify for quick, one-off communications. We use ScreenSteps to create documentation for all of our products. If you have to choose just one then this might help:
- If you need to create software documentation, and a lot of it, use ScreenSteps. Software documentation is what it is designed for.
- If you just need a better way to quickly communicate with co-workers, employees, family, friends and clients then choose Clarify.
I heard a rumor that you guys may not continue development of Clarify. Please tell me it ain't so!
@David - I'm afraid it is true. You can read more about it on our blog: